Tuesday, April 7, 2009

VADA WITH VINODH

Vinodh and me met up today and we decided to stop by at a hotel to have a cup of tea and some vadas which happens to be his favorite snack .He never misses a chance or opportunity to eat vadas Infact he even considers eating vadas to be his birth right.So while we were waiting for the vada to be served,Vinodh as usual was giving me some gyan sessions ;he was telling me “Rohit ,as you say in engineering ,distance gives perspective “(For the life of me ,I couldn’t recollect anything of that sort being told in my 4 years of engineering ,but then I was seldom in classrooms when such valuable pieces of wisdom might have been shared ;anyways that’s another story altogether)Vinodh continued , “da , look at what you want to calculate from a distance and from different perspectives ,you will see that efficiency is directly proportional to optimal work load “He was basically answering my question on calculating workload and I was just wondering as to why wasn’t the vada arriving ;it was high time you know ..

The conversation some how got diverted to the economic crisis and the recession and both of us were off the opinion that nothing has changed much .I mean where is the recession?I still see theatres running to packed houses , jewellery shops still crowded , new cars being launched and cars being booked,Still see all shopping malls in Cochin buzzing with people and shopping happening (The newly launched Oberon mall is a prime example ).I still find it difficult to find parking space for my car during weekends .Levi’s registered a record number of sales for its brand of Jeans last month .Go to any Archie’s showroom , you will still see teenagers spending ,Exhibitions still finding takers .My friends in Bangalore say that the pubs are still crowded .So was anybody talking about the global credit crunch ?How long will it take to hit us (Not that I am desperate!)

Infact, it dint take long to hit both us though! Our wait ended and the guy served us vada and almost immediately, things started to fall in perspective (well, as you say in engineering, distance gives perspective!).Holes in the Vadas were larger, the chutney was thinner and sambhar looked and tasted more or less like colored water .When we asked the guy for a second serving of the chutney, the guy just stared at us .Infact the look on his face gave us his explanation; allow me to read out his mind “Respected sirs, please find a coconut tree, climb it, take the coconut and make the chutney yourself”
Anyways, the vada triggered our thought process at Godspeed and we concluded that recession is everywhere around us. Look at the number of layoffs at work , number of pink slips being given to employees , land prices coming down ,incentives and appraisals in most work places being stalled, interest rates being cut down ,the sales numbers of all the major car houses have taken a dip ,the “opportunities “section of “The Hindu” being limited to a page or two and even in those two pages they end up giving advises as to how to hold on to your job during the recession.

Anyways , we finished our tea and vadas and decided next time we come, we’ll have Masala dosas because at least you don’t have a hole in it.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG!LOL..I was literally laughing while reading your post RO..and I am just waiting for Vinodh's comment .I am sure he would have something to share as well.Recession can also be felt in the number of people coming down to India from Dubai and other countries after loosing their jobs.I think some 2-3 months back ,there was this stat in NDTV,
that every minute 4 indians are loosing their jobs ! Kind of unbelievable isin't?

Unknown said...

Hahaaahaa..daa..you are not being too friendly with me ,like getting me in your blog for the last two posts !but dude really enjoyed reading it ..but that look on the waiters face was exactly what u posted though ..

but u know wut ..my vote still goes for vadas.

Unknown said...

Holes in the Vadas were larger[O], the chutney was thinner .......hehehehehehe.....I O.
da is this restaurant near North Railway Station ???? ;) hahahahaaaa

Unknown said...

Good one rohit......i would say......you should have asked the waiter as on why the holes are getting bigger when it comes to vadas?........he he he

007 said...

ditto with Balakrishnan..agree with him ..you should have asked why are holes in the vadas getting larger.You should have insisted on getting the answer from him ...heh heh

cool post da! realy refreshing to read this after a frustrating day at the office

priya said...

Heyyyyy....Flashes of that intelligent side of u coming out in print- vou la vou-u in the right track dude..u touched upon the very minute facts of mundane, day-to-day life both with sarcasm and that characteristic rohit-brand-of-humor. Ur sharp observations made some fine reading and yep,,did also tickle my funny bone..hehehe...had a good laugh...and am still continuing with it.....heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Rohit said...

Again , thanks a lot for your comments and inputs guys ..its really an added incentive 4 me :)

@Swapna

Yeah swapna ..I Remember you tellin g me that stat ..thats a pretty disturbing number ..

@Vinod

Hehehee..da .I know wuteeverhappens ..ur vote would only go for vadas..when I think of it ,I still laugh about teh way our opinions changed so dransticaly when the vadas were served..

@Antony

Heheee..thanks da ..no the hotel is at kadavanthara ..da pinne ..biji told me u had a similar experience when you ordered for a milk shake ..lol

@Biji (Balakrishnan)
Atheda ..I could have asked him ..or I could have told him "vadakkoke oru paruthi elledaaa..."
heheeeee

@Anand

Thanks da :) really encouraging gto know that u liked the post ..frustrating days at office ?keep reading :)

@ Iya

Thanks Iya :)

sylesh said...

Rohit :) Awesome..

Rohit said...

@Sylesh

Lolz..Thanks Sylesh:)