Wednesday, May 27, 2009

MY SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION

Before you start to wonder what the heck does the title of this post signify; let me spare you the trouble of googling.”Six degrees of separation” is a concept that I came across in the internet a few months back and I was quite fascinated by it. Well what it states is “Anyone on the planet can be connected to any other person on the planet through a chain of acquaintances that has no more than five intermediaries.” To put it in more simpler terms, you name anybody in the whole wide world; we would connect to that person within a chain of 5 more people .The theory was actually formulated by some Hungarian and to prove this there was an experiment which was done in which, few individuals were selected randomly and they were asked to send a package to a complete stranger somewhere in the world . The senders were given the recipients name , occupation and general location. The senders were instructed to pass on the package to a person they knew on a first name basis who they thought was most likely, out of all their friends, to know the target personally. That person would do the same, and so on, until the package was personally delivered to its target recipient. Long story short ;The experiment was successful it only took (on average) between five and seven intermediaries to get each package delivered.

Well , its often said that nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool .I convinced(begged would be a more apt word) a few friends of mine to try this out. I selected the “target recipient” who is a native of Trivandrum (another friend of mine ) and also selected a few “random individuals “(also friends of mine, 3 in number ).Both the parties do not know each other and are complete strangers (perfect isint ?).Now the worst thing , to get a package which should be delivered to the target ; we bought 3 packs of “Cadbury Temptations “and gave all them the following info:-

1. Name of the target
2. Occupation
3. District

Now the senders were supposed to give this package to a person they knew pretty well who they thought was most likely, out of all their friends, to know the target personally.Well, the process started and and all I can say after 2 months is “the process has ended” and we don’t know where the packages are(somebody somewhere must have eaten it I guess!).

Moral of the sory :-An idle mind is a devil’s workshop.

11 comments:

Aparna said...

Why did you choose to send chocolates? The first one would have eaten them.Next time (provided you are still in the mood to experiment) choose a less tempting package.

Unknown said...

hey ..this was informative ..first time I am hearing of such a concept.

But bro..hats off for having the inclination to try this.yeah..the package could have been diffrent for starters;)

Rohit said...

@Aparna

Thanks Aparna for stopping by :) hope to see more of you here...
yeah should have gone for a less tempting package on hindsight.maybe worms and cockroaches next time ;)
oh! I forgot earthworms ...lol

@Vinod

Thanks :)
Now that its in the open, dude let
me let out a secret here.You were supposed to be the target recipient!
Watch out for the worms next time:)

Unknown said...

lolz Ro..if its choclates you can have the honour of making me the target recipient ..but then if its worms ..you always have vinod.

007 said...

Read this concept somewhere..
"maybe worms and cockroaches next time ;)
oh! I forgot earthworms ...lol" lolz at this comment.On a serious note,DONT YOU GUYS HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO ?

scorpiogenius said...

hahaha.. good one.
You must've send icecrems... :)

Sreejith Panickar said...

Nice one Rohit! Actually, I was sitting idle now, and wanted to explore something on the net. You gave this interesting idea now, and let me check how far I can go on this. About the chocolates that you packed, well, your friends themselves must be the culprits! They must have eaten it! :-)

Thanks for the visit to my blog...

Rohit said...

@Swapna
Thanks swapna, I am indeed honoured..infact I have tears of happiness around my eyes after I read ur comment ..lolz

@Anand
Thanks :) its amazing what you can do when you have nothing to do ;)

@Scorpio
Thanks Scorpio for dropping by..hope to see you around often :)
and glad that you liked the post.

@Sreejith
Thanks :)I am glad to know to know that there are others who can be as whacky as me to give it a try :) kidding bro..let me know how far you reach on this ..infact eager to know .

Anonymous said...

Some newspaper, I think HT or TOI, is running this in one of their headers...


I don't find it too amusing, though.

Rohit said...

@unsusng

ya? I guess,there should be some validity to the concept after all.. ..hmmm

Majority of my freinds(I am lying...infact none) dint find that amusing at all...

workhard said...

I like the moral best.. :)

Just like my mind.. i swear..

btw.. thats a neat concept..

Domain registration india