Monday, June 1, 2009

IT IS A SMALL WORLD

A friend of mine called me last month over the phone and told me that he wanted a new job starting tomorrow. I said “ok, just go to sleep and everything will be allrigt by tomorrow and no, you really don’t have to see a doctor now .Its just the starting stages, maybe sleep would do”.Needless to say , he dint find that amusing at all. A few minutes in to the conversation, I realized that he was indeed troubled and his tone was getting increasingly desperate.

So I called upon the wiser, mature philosopher in me to respond to such a situation.Well after a lot of calling I realized that the wiser, mature,philosopher in me never actually existed..it was a mythical creature!(But the ever optimist in me would like to believe that he was down with fever). Ok...so we discussed about how recession and getting a new job does not exactly go hand in hand and that he should stick on to his present company (Which again, is an MNC ) and not give up so easily.He responds by asking me very politely to keep my advise to myself and instead channel all that energy in helping him find a solution to his problem. “k..dude..that is my solution..dont quit your job..unemployment is not a good state of mind” I seriously endorse that point of view on Unemployment ..and infact the problem with being unemployed is that everyday you wake up in the morning, you are on the job!

Well, 60 minutes in this conversation, I decided to do some root cause analysis..I asked him “Why do you want to leave your job”(Brilliant question isin’t it? Why on earth dint I ask this question an hour back ?)I got a very abrubt answer to that question to which he said something like”work pressure”.The famous thumb rule in a corporate environment states that when ever a man wants to quit his job desparately, its either a bad reporting manager or a broken love affair.On probing further I realized that, with him, it was a case of both ..his Ex is now his boss! Ouch !..Man that should be a bit tough.All my attempts at reasoning with him with statements like “need not mix professional life with personal life, If you run away now, you will have time only to do that” were treated with utter disdain and hatred. Even the common job sites agreed with me ,they were pulling out comparatively lesser jobs when we searched(This, after we were squeezing the life out the sites to spit out any jobs they had!)Its amazing what desperation can do, as, we even applied for a fashion designers job!(Well, absolutely nothing against fashion designers, its just that my friend’s job profile dosen’t have anything remotely connected with fashion).By this time, both of us had reached a consensus that quitting the job is the way to go and because of the sheer sincerity of our thought processes we were atlast able to find a job opening in a very reputable firm and managed to schedule an interview for my friend.Again, with his skillsets and experience he got through and today was his first day at the new office.Today evening I receive a call from him with the same desperation that he called last month and guess what , even his Ex changed jobs and she is now his new reporting manager in his new company ! Phew! It is a small world after all….

PS:-Well, Nothing connected with above post. Cigarette packs are supposed to look more dangerous from now on (with the mandatory regulations coming in)Me decided not to buy the packets, cigarettes alone would do.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hilarious! I was all the while smiling while reading this post.

Is your friend job hunting again?ROFL..

Unknown said...

My GOD !!

Rohit.....

hehehehee..... adipoleee.... 8 intey panni :P

i o pavum!!! .did u find the reason why they broke up ? ;)
Rohit by the way....why r u planning to quit ???hmmmmmmmmmm.

Rohit said...

@Vinod

Thanks Vinod:) I am planning to switch off my mob for a few weeks ;)

@Antony

LOLZ..yeah ..8 inte pani!!No dint ask any further questions,because I couldn't take any more answers ... :)

Anonymous said...

OH my god, that is like SO ironical!



And so tragic...

Rohit said...

@unsung

ironic-you put it mildly...

Tragic-absolutely!.leaning more towards the exact emotion :)

Viji said...

Hey, quite a good write up!! Hilarious:-)!

Btw, today is tobaco free day...these guys should think of putting eeeeeeeekkkkkks & yukeeeee pics in each cigaret!!!!!!!

Rohit said...

@Viji

Thanks Viji for stopping by and glad that you liked the post:)Hope to see more of you here...
lolz...."eeeeeeeekkkkkks & yukeeeee pics "..those should be some pretty terrifying pics..

workhard said...

If u have real work pressure.. thats not as bad as your Ex being ur boss!!!!

Domain registration india