Monday, July 6, 2009

A DOG'S LIFE

I have always loved dogs. As they say, there is no one who appreciates a conversation the way a dog does: because what ever you tell him, it always licks you. I have a dog and absolutely adore it. My sister adores him even more and the adoration has even reached to an extent where she at times, mistakes me for the dog and calls me chippy.

I guess, we had similar minded neighbors who loved dogs and yes, cats as well. So we had a situation where in a stray dog gave birth to 5 puppies and a cat gave birth to 4 kittens at my neighbours place. They were kind enough to feed all of them regularly. Now they moved out and all the 5 puppies and 4 kittens moved out as well. Only that, they moved to our place.

It all happened very quickly ; I mean just come to our house any of these days and you will see a mini zoo! You have dogs and the puppies having a gala time and so are the kittens .All of then enjoying themselves. We tried different methods in getting all of them out because frankly it was getting quite tiresome . Needless to say, all efforts were in vain: 5 puppies and 4 kittens are still there. So I was sharing my sorrow with a friend of mine and asking her any new techniques to get all of them out of the house. She gave me a completely different response. She was telling me “Che! Rohit , paapam kittum, you should never hunt those animals away . They might be your ancestors who are reborn .So you should take good care of them” Even though she said that with a lot of purity at heart, I couldn’t help thinking that “my great grandfathers are now dogs and cats ?”

Last month, One of the dogs got hit by a bike on the road and was severely wounded. Though I felt sad at the sight, my emotions were restricted to that; sad. It couldn’t even move as it was unable to even lift its back leg and so was crawling its way in pain from the road to our house. Just by looking at it, it was quite obvious that the dog wouldn’t last long and that it was just a matter of time. If ever there was an instrument that could measure compassion levels in humans, I have a strong feeling that my sister would top the charts. Her dedication and sincerity in taking care of that stray dog had to be seen to be believed. There was so much concern when the dog was not showing signs of improvement and so much relief when it finally showed some good signs. The dog is now able to move better and is healthier..bless my sis !

PS:-In between, Because of compulsion from my sis I approached various institutions like SPCA in Trivandrum and nobody bothered to help(Guess Menaka Gandhi is busy trying to protect her son). Intrestingly, I also met a lady in Trivandrum(Saramma) who runs a similar trust for stray animals(if I can use that term) called “Action for distressed animals” in Thirumala, Trivandrum. When I went there, I figured that the lady needs more help in taking care of the animals.

27 comments:

Aparna said...

God bless your sis.
This local library I go to, the man there is perpetually looking after stray dogs. His small library is completely taken over by these dogs and we have to step over these animals to hunt for our books.Add Mumbai rains and unwashed dogs, the place is stinking all the time. Strangely, nobody seems to mind and some even leave dog biscuits for these animals.
Lovely post.

scorpiogenius said...

Nicely written..

Its funny to think about it now, about my mummy who bought a doggy to our house when all her 3 childern (inc me) left Tvm for work in other cities. She was so attached to it that this puppy shared the space btw her and dad in bed! She still adores it and its kind of her 4th child!! ;)

Anonymous said...

I would've totally taken one off your hand, but I live in college :(
Remind me in a year :) (I tend to forget)

Dogs are just such a blessing! Sorry to hear about the poor little injured thing! And please do have ALL of them sterilized if you haven't already!

Rohit said...

@Aparna

hey..thats seriously good to know :)Taking care of stray animals takes a lot of dedication and sincerity..and good to know that there are ppl who do that:)

@Scorpio
yeah ..i can totally connect with that scenario hehee..

@Unsung
thinking of sterilizing them ..but its kind of hard to take them to teh vet ..dont exactly know wut to do now :(

Anand said...

Hey Rohit, I can see that you have been regularly dropping into my blog. I am glad.

Coming back to your sweet post, I must say that your sister was too good.

And regarding the lady who said "I myself need help", I could say just one thing.

"She must be busy with the dogs' life". Got the hint? What do you say?

P.S: No harm meant to your blog and your readers.

Unknown said...

Nice post dude..I liked the statement regarding the ancestors though ..lol..who? Lavi? ;)

Unknown said...

eeeks!! I am not coming to your house anytime now ..with all those dogs there !....

Rohit said...

@Anand

Thanks for dropping by..hope to see you around often :) yeah..am assuming that I got the hint ..maybe distressed would be the rt word :)

@Vinod
Yups ..who else ..lavi

@Swapna
u serious ?..all these years I have been searching for a solution..and all that I had to do was to get some dogs??..heh hehe

Anand said...

"maybe distressed would be the rt word :)"

Did you mean my remark? If yes, I am getting my words back.

Rohit said...

@Anand

Hey..naah..dont get your words back..
"She must be busy with the dogs' life"..what I meant was may be not "busy" but "distressed" could be the word..

Anand said...

Okay Rohit.

Sreejith Panickar said...

Good information and sarcasm (Maneka) in the last para... Once again, a good account..

Interestingly, both of us dealt with dogs in our latest blog posts!

007 said...

dude..this made interesting reading..and I liked that statement regarding "great grandfathers being dogs and cats" haahaa..surely..your sis needs very special mention as, like you said, for most of us the emotions on seeing a stray dog wounded, would just be limited to sadness at max..but to take that extra step and take care of the dog..requires true kindness.hats off!

Unknown said...

Rohit......

excellent ! well written.

Dog`s are too adorable... So full of life,brings a smile on your face.dream to have one when I am back home......they r best of companions they make...their loving gestures cant make one ignore them...a dog never slags you off or doesnt talk to you for weeks cause of something we said, its unconditional love i dont think you can beat.

Thanks for sharing Ro !

Meira said...

wow...a mini zoo where cats and dogs live together! Thats awesome. But its also sad that the authorities don't help. If only they'd advertise...I'm sure a lot of people won't mind adopting a pet.

Rohit said...

@Sreejith

Thanks :) yeah..thats true .both our posts were on dogs..but your's was truly hilarious..infact I was mentioning about your post to a few friends of mine ...and all of them were equally amazed..

@007

Thanks 007:) I will copy paste your comment and email it to my sis ..hehee..

Rohit said...

@ Andapps

Da..i dint know that you loved dogs ..hmmm..There I can see hope ..come down fast so that I can give a few to you ;)but u r spot on on teh unconditional love ..

@Meira

mini zoo..yes..but seriously no intentions in continuing that..quite tiresome ..but yes..if authorities could show some more resposibility..would have been a lot easier..

Protik Basu said...

lol..about dogs, its not that i hated them or anything, its just i didnt know what exactly to do with them:)...but at mba at the end, that all changed...i have actually grown fond of dogs and their ways, though i admit i still cant figure out how to deal with them!!!

your post is nice and shows me how much i still got to learn about our canine friends :)

Rohit said...

@Protik

Not that I knew much either ..eventualities like these teach u I guess..hehee..get a dog ..give a life ..wow! that was cool.. If Maneka Gandhi were to read this ..I would have been hired rt now !

Unknown said...

nice post Rohit......Agree with u about Menaka Ghandi.......

Athu chilappol ayirikkum

Ida said...

Humans who cannot show compassion for animals have no right to be called humans. I love cats and dogs and monkeys and elephants and goats and cows and snakes...and well, a whole lot of other things (except lizards...I like them, but a bit scared of them!!!)We had loads of cats here, every stray cat got a shelter and food in our home. But our neighbors complained and we had to give them away...sob!sob!

Sreejith Panickar said...

Re: Rohit

:-)

Viji said...

God Bless U & Ur Sis:-)!

Ida said...

Hey no posts from you....??? Hope everything is ok:)

Swapna Raghu Sanand said...

I'm not a dog lover but I was very moved by your article. I think its amazing that your sister is so dedicated and committed to such a meaningful cause. I am glad to hear that people not only care deeply but make meaningful contribution by serving distressed animals.

The statement about ancestors, that was also very touching.

Whatever we believe in, it becomes truly invaluable only when it is supported by positive and affirmative action. My cheers to your sis.

Rohit said...

@ Ida, Viji and GentleLavender

Soo sorry for my delayed response .Thanks so much for your comments :)

@Ida

Thanks Ida ...Was not in town for a few days..hence the delay..

@viji - :) Thanks

@GentleLavendar

Thanks for stopping by ..hope to see more of you here..Glad that you liked the post :)

Hemal said...

Ah! I remember my childhood when we used to create the dog house using in the coconut tree leaves, bricks and used to plaster them with Clay. Only to be crushed by my dad or mom! I was always fond of dogs. Our colony had almost around 30 dogs and people used to be very afraid of coming.

I used to run into them when we had any fights and no one dared come close to me!

I would still love to get one pet, but my mom and dad wont let me have it.