Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Smoking

Before I type anything else, Let me state that through this post I am in no way encouraging anybody to smoke nor indulge in any kind of drug addiction. These are extremely harmful and dangerous to the human body. Ok ..let the crap begin..

I had always wanted to quit smoking (Ok not always , but at least now I do) but for various reasons couldn’t really get myself to do it. “Da you are killing youself", “dude, your days are numbered”,”you are smoking cancer in to your lungs” are some of the kind words that I usually get to hear from my colleagues and friends. In the middle of a very interesting conversation today, a friend of mine just asked me “why do you smoke da?”. That was quite unexpected to say the least. Why do people ask such questions which requires me to think a lot to make up an answer? Quite frankly I did not know the answer and told him “give me some time , let me think “. While in doing so, I lit up a ciggy and immediately it dawned on me that I smoke to think !!! Eureka ! that’s it. Well, to be honest, smoke breaks give a much needed time out to reflect, to reflect on the days happenings, to reflect on absolutely anything. Well, any sane person can argue that you can reflect on a days happenings without a cigarette, but for me it seems, to do that, I need an external force.

Pscycologists say smoking and alleged reflection is just an escape from reality that our reasoning uses, as well as drinking and is a sign of degradation.

I don’t like Pscyologists any more !

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I always hated psycologists! smoke to think is it ?..hmmm..you should be thinking a lot then, lol.nice post man..but QUIT SMOKING RT NOW !!

NG said...

heyyy i dont know what to say... its good that u know y u smoke...and better now that u wanna quit...

i think an occassional puff is ok...but making it a habit...habit enough to become a catalyst for thinking...ummm not good at all

dude...u have ur brains/mind/youself to do the thinking...y do u need that fuckin damn smoke :)

Rohit said...

@vinod

Which actually reminds me that If my claim is indeed true, then all the smokers in the world should be the most intellectually enlightened people ;)Wonder what the health ministry would have to say to that though.


@ Neha

hey, thanks for your visit. Hope to see more of you here. True..u actually dont need a ciggy to think ..well I am thinking to quit smoking but for thinking I need a cigarette ..lolz..viscious circle isin't ..kidding ..u r right :)

Sreejith Panickar said...

:-) Funny...

Have heard a famous quip: "It is easy to quit smoking. I have done it at least 100 times"!

Philip said...

i smoked for 4 years till one day someone very special didnt want me to. and i quit. I agree its not easy for a smoker to quit so easily as i was not heavily into smoking.

still...its good to kick that habit.

Rohit said...

@ Sreejith

Thanks bro..Yeah, I can connect with that :)

@Philip

Thanks for your visit, Hope to see you around often. Geez!..congrats on your decision..thats a tough one :)

Vimal said...

Started with a Statutory Warning :D

Ida said...

Heh!Heh! If you smoke to think and smoking kills...then you are not thinking much, are you???....hmmm...Of course world needs smokers, otherwise what would all the "I Hate Smokers" groups do, eh?Where would the the govt. increase taxes each year? Besides they even give Psychologists topics for lecture, that should count as social service, eh?
But while you are still smoking, switch to bidis instead of cigarettes, that way you'll be doing further service by promoting small scale industry...hmm...nothing better to make you feel "where would this world be without an angel like me??!!"

Rohit said...

@ vimal

heh heh..Figured that I should atleast do that :D see you around..

@Ida

Thanks for your visit and hope to see you around often..honestly, I havent yet read such an optimistic and positive take on smoking..hehee..infact made me feel like I am a socially responsible citizen who is doing his bit for the society and these ppl can't even thank me 4 tat..how ungrateful!yeah you are an angel :)

Anonymous said...

Sigh, I hear you!
I smoke very infrequently because I don't want to get hooked (since I would eventually have to drop it, and that'd make me fat and all) but I do find the feeling of the tobacco inside me so divine! Why does smoking have to be so harmful...
Tragic :(

Rohit said...

@unsung
Yeah..couldn't agree with you more..why does smoking have to be harmful? and don't scare me with this "(since I would eventually have to drop it, and that'd make me fat and all)" :)

Deepak said...

Rohit,
I think the problem with major addictions is the damage it causes to the body. Otherwise, we would in general have the luxury of experimenting with ways that take off the hold of the habit on us.

Anyway, now that you have the desire to quit, I wish you all the best. Also, I don't think you need a cigarette to think - but it is an association you've built up - to go into "intense thought mode" when you take in a cigar.

Aparna said...

Ok, no psychoanalysis, only plain fact. Smoking can cause lung cancer. Cancer kills. SO STOP SMOKING RIGHT NOW.Your life is precious.

Rohit said...

@Deepak

Thanks for dropping by .Spot on..its just the assosiation with the ciggy :) Thanks for your wishes

@Aparna

Thanks Aparna :) yes planning to ..

workhard said...

Did anyone tell u.. u burning ur money......

Thats even more frustrating when u hear that..


Domain registration india